Swine Research & Education Experience (SREE)
Swine Research & Education Experience
The Swine Research and Education Experience (SREE) seeks to expand undergraduate and veterinary student participation in research and education projects relevant to the swine industry. The inspiration for the SREE program is to attract students to swine related research or educational careers who might not otherwise consider those aspirations. The projects are encouraged to involve students at the early stages in their college experience.
Students from all applicable discipline areas are eligible for consideration. Through the development and completion of a mentored research or education project, students will gain swine science and industry exposure, obtain personal experiences in swine research and education, and develop problem-solving skills. University faculty or staff will collaborate and mentor the student in the identification, development, and completion of the project.
University faculty or staff must identify the topic for the project and identify the roles and responsibilities an undergraduate student will be responsible for in conducting the project. Proposal submission timelines are arranged to initiate the relationship between a mentor and a student early in the student’s program and to complete the research within an academic year for funded projects. Specifically, the steps are as follows:
- Spring of the Academic Year (2020) – Mentor and student relationship building and project discussion.
- Spring and Summer (July 17, 2020) – Full proposal completed and submitted.
- Summer (August 15, 2020) – Notification of proposal review outcome and funding status by the U.S. Pork Center of Excellence.
- Fall of Academic Year (September 1, 2020) – Funding transfer, project initiation, and student participation in education and research experiences begin.
- End of Academic Year (May 31, 2021) or earlier – Project completed, student participation completed, final project report due.
NEW in 2020:
- The U.S. Pork Center of Excellence will be completely managing and funding the SREE program.
- SREE funds will be awarded to universities that are funding partners of the U.S. Pork Center of Excellence. For a complete list of partners, please visit our Partners page. If your institution is interested in becoming a funding partner of the U.S. Pork Center of Excellence, please contact Chelsey Van Genderen, firstname.lastname@example.org.